Sunday, May 8, 2011

First Vote: Singapore General Elections 2011

It was my first time voting and I was silently excited. Yesterday was Singapore's big night. Almost all of the Singaporeans, stayed up to watch the results as they were being released. Some went to the assembly of their supported parties and waited to rejoice the parties moment of relish. My appointed voting area was under a HDB block. They build up more voting spots this year which was great. No queueing or whatsoever! After that, I went to my cousin's place and met my bigger family for dinner. While we're waiting for the results, Singapore was getting warmer. Literally. Anyone of you realized that? It got too hot and humid that my family and I decided to rush home and continue to watch the official released of the results on Channel 5. Channel News Asia was disappointing. Anyway, social media tools like Twitter and Facebook was such a spoiler! Hehe.. Results were released even before the appointed person could announced it! But, I felt, it was all the more fun and exciting!
I stayed up till 0300hrs yesterday. As you know the results were equally exciting yet upsetting. But, I hope this will make PAP more vigilant if they still wanna 'stay on top of the game'. Cum 2016, general elections will be even harder. I'm not even predicting this. From the looks of the younger generations I've been mixing around with, they're a hell lot more vocal. I think having an opposition team in the parliament, keep Singapore safe. Prevents PAP from complacency.
I'm not against/for any party. I keep myself up-to-date, so that I can vote wisely because having reliable people to represent Singapore is very important. Mr. George Yeo was a great politician. But his PAP team members lost their seats to Mr. Low Thia Khiang WP team. Nevertheless, I also believe that he will make a good president. LIKE Mr. George Yeo for President 2011!
Photo Credit: Mezame
On a side note, a lotta people on Twitter were wondering what happened to the 'disqualified votes'. I mean how do they define 'disqualified votes'? There was a rumor saying that if any of the voters crossed out two boxes, the vote count will got o PAP. That's unfair and against democracy, worst still, integrity too. So, I trust that its not true. PAP have come a long way. I agree when people say the opposition are the 'shakers' to wake them up from their 'sleep', for times that they are not working hard enough to serve/help the people. Hence, innate interest and passion is a must. If you're sincere and convincing enough. I'm sure Singapore will vote for you.

There's so much more that I wish I could share but I believe that many of you out there own a twitter account, following Singaporeans Twitter accounts. So, go read okay:)

I wanna move on and with this I share with you a glimpse of what I've been posting on Twitter with regards to the General Elections 2011, yesterday...



I can't wait for 2016 already!

No comments:

Post a Comment