Thursday, January 28, 2010

Power Copies vs. Document Templates

I've been wondering if there is an advantage to using document templates over power copies if the model doesn't have any solids. I think I may have my answer.

Currently my model has 150 floors that are created using fills and extrusions, so everything is a surface -- no solids means I can use a power copy to make each floor. Trouble is, after 150 copies of the floor (well, technically, 149), the model runs REALLY SLOW. Each parameter adjustment takes about 30-45 seconds to run. Not much in the grand scheme of things, but I'm used to less than 5 seconds for processing changes...

Now I wonder: if I had set the floor up as one part, and the framework as another, and merged them using a document template, would it run faster? I also wonder if using 1 solid shape for each floor instead of 2 fills and a profile extrusion would help speed things along...

...next time, next time

No comments:

Post a Comment